Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Welcome Back Message

Welcome back!  The 2011-2012 School Year is near!  I am excited to be back after a year long maternity leave with my youngest son, Calvin.

Calvin is my third boy.  My oldest Evan will be starting Kindergarten this year, so I know what parents feel like during the busy month of August.  School supplies, schedules, bussing, before and after school care, and much much more.  What I tend to focus on is "What does this feel like?"  I don't know about you, but my stomach can get tense thinking too far ahead: Will he behave?  Will he be liked by his peers?  Will he be scared?  Will he learn? 

Many students and parents are overwhelmed with feelings as something new begins.  That is where I can be of service.

I will be visiting with all the children in their classrooms during the first couple weeks of school.  I have many goals, but my main one is to let the children know what they can do during both the tough and the exciting times of this part of life.  And, that includes me, their counselor, but it is surely not limited to me.  I encourage students to turn to their family, peers, and other school staff (yes, even the cooks and bus drivers).  We make up a community.  And, as they say, it takes a village to raise a child.  I will do my role and help others in theirs.

Please check here often as I plan to use this website to post updates and resources for the community (parents, school staff, and others alike).  I will also be sharing this site with the older students, as they can refer here if needed.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Ailts - Elementary School Counselor